Monday, August 26, 2013

Shocking News! Land Grabbers(Omonile) Allegedly Beat Man To Death

 When Eniola Kiyesola left home for work on August 18, 2013, he bade his wife and three children farewell, saying he would return after the day’s work.

This was, however, not to be as the 36-year-old man was beaten to death by land grabbers few hours after he left his house.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Kiyesola had gone to a construction site to supervise an ongoing work when about five land grabbers stormed the site.
The culprits were said to have demanded N5,000 from Kiyesola, adding that if he did not pay them, they would prevent labourers from working.
A relative of the deceased, Mr Sola Solebo, said, “On that day, Kiyesola went to supervise construction at the site.
“After sometime, about five hoodlums from Omo Ebi Bagidan Village, led by one Babu and Kazeem, stormed the site and demanded money.
“Kiyesola reminded them that the owner of the property had given them money when the foundation of the building was being laid.
“The land grabbers then demanded N5, 000 so that they would leave. However, Kiyesola told them that he could not give them any money and told them to come back when the owner of the property was around.
“There was an exchange of words and the hoodlums picked up iron rods and beat him up.”
A labourer, Yusuf Olatundun, who claimed to be an eyewitness, said the culprits beat Kiyesola for over an hour.
Olatundun, a bricklayer, said, “About 15 of us were working on the site when those land grabbers came. The land grabbers said they had an axe to grind with the architect. Some of us rushed to Ijede Police Division to report the matter.
“After beating Kiyesola for over an hour, he collapsed. When he became unconscious, the guys fled. When the police arrived we rushed Kiyesola to General Hospital, Ijede where he was confirmed dead.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the traditional leader of Omo Ebi Bagidan Village, Sunday Basorun, who was alleged to have employed the culprits to collect land dues for him, had been arrested.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, said, “The matter has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.”
Braide added that efforts were on to arrest the fleeing culprits.