At least 20 people were feared dead, while several others sustained
injuries, yesterday, when suspected Boko Haram terrorists launched
separate attacks on Gajiram, the council headquarters of Nganzai and
Bulabulin Ngawra Village of Konduga Local Government Area of Borno
State. Two primary schools, a clinic and some residential houses were also set ablaze during the attacks.
is about 73 kilometres, while Bullabulin Ngawra is 45 kilometres away
from Maiduguri, the state capital. Both councils are linked and share
borders with the terrorist’s camps of Marte and Sambiza Forests said to
have been destroyed by JTF at the peak of the emergency rule and the
military onslaught of Boko Haram terrorists in the state since June this
Although, the actual number of casualties could not be
officially ascertained at press time, our Correspondent gathered that
some terror suspects numbering more than 40 fully armed with Ak47 rifles
laid ambush on Gajiram town on Thursday morning where they killed 15
residents and set some public and residential buildings ablaze.
Thereafter, they were repelled by the combined efforts of the vigilante
youths and men of the Joint Task Force, JTF.
It was also
gathered that the State Attorney-General, Mr. Kaka Shehu Lawan later
went to Gajiram to condole with the residents. He was said to have gone
in company of the chairman of the local government council and some
senior police officers.
Similarly, on the Maiduguri- Dambao-Biu
road which was reopened two weeks ago after its closure by the JTF, Boko
Haram suspects were said to have mounted roadblocks few metres away
from Bullabulin Ngawra village where they shot and killed five people
eye witness, Aisami Babagana from Bulabilin Ngawra told our
Correspondent that, “the Boko Haram sect members attacked Bullabulin
Ngawra in the early hours of today (Thursday) and killed five people. I
believe that they attacked us because of how our volunteers have
succeeded in curtailing their atrocities in our area”.
residents of Maiduguri who did not want their names mentioned in print
for security reasons told our Correspondent that “We saw two Hilux
patrol vehicles of the JTF conveying dead bodies and the injured heading
towards University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, UMTH, but we could
not ascertain whether they were victims of the latest attack in Nganzai
or Bullabulin Ngawra.”
Meanwhile, in their renewed efforts to
put an end to Boko Haram insurgency in the state, members of the state’s
Vigilante Youths also being addressed as ‘Civilian JTF or Yangora’ and
men of Joint Task Force, JTF; Wednesday arrested 14 terror suspects with
arms and ammunition in Bulunkutu ward, University of Maiduguri Teaching
Hospital, UMTH, premises and Sulimanti ward of Maiduguri metropolis.
arrested terror suspects at the hospital, according to sources,
yesterday, in Maiduguri, sneaked into the hospital through the perimeter
fence, before the youths sighted them with rifles and ammunition at
about 10.35am on Wednesday.
Those who were arrested in Bulunkutu
area of the metropolis, according to one of the vigilante youths, were
“Boko Haram informants” from Northern Borno and Yobe state, who came to
Maiduguri on Tuesday to collate more information on the activities of
JTF and vigilance youths patrolling Bulunkutu and Gomari Airport wards
Speaking on how the terror suspects beat UMTH
security on Tuesday, a source at the hospital said: “The suspects
disguised as wounded and sick persons with rifles hidden under their
flowing gowns, and perforated the barbed wires; before gaining entry
into the hospital premises to seek medical attention. The vigilance
youths, were able to sight the suspects; and arrested them on the spot,
before handing them to us here.”
He said the youths also
recovered from the suspects rifles and ammunition, including charms worn
round their waists and arms. The suspects were also said to have wounds
suspected to be from gunshots they sustained either at Bama or Monguno
last week during encounters with JTF.
Speaking on the incidents,
the JTF spokesman, Lt. Colonel Sagir Musa, told journalists in
Maiduguri that he was not aware of the incidents, but promised to send
press release on the development after compiling his report.