21-year-old Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters has been crowned Miss South Africa 2017 at a glamorous event which held last night in Johannesburg.
The judges for the competition included TV presenter, model, actor, designer, businessman and philanthropist Maps Maponyane; singer, actress and radio personality Unathi Msengana; Olympic swimmer and record holder Cameron van der Burgh; and radio presenter, producer and one of the founding presenters of the magazine TV show All Access, Bridget Masinga.
They were joined by fellow judges Gisèle Wertheim Aymes, owner of the Longevity publishing franchise in South Africa as well as Elle and Elle Decoration; Ezra Davids, corporate lawyer and chairman of corporate/mergers and acquisitions at leading pan-African law firm Bowmans; and former Miss South Africa Claudia Henkel.
The event was hosted by musician Proverb with media personality Lalla Hirayama giving commentary during the live show.
Facts about the New Queen
- She is 21-Years Old.
- She is a final-year BCom business management and entrepreneurial studies student.
- She is also a part-time model at Boss Models and Vision Management.
- She was the first girl in her high school to be chosen as head girl of both the school and its hostel. Demi-Leigh was also elected as the Deputy Junior Mayor of the George City Council in Grade 11.
- She walks away with R1 million in cash from sponsors Sun International and Cell C, as well as a bouquet of other prizes valued at more than R2 million.
- She makes handmade cards and does scrapbooking. She says her biggest motivator is her half-sister, who was born without a cerebellum and is completely disabled.
- She was asked “What is the greatest fear you had to overcome to be where you are today?” and she responded with “The fear of fear itself. We forget that we are only human and that everything you need to achieve greatness is already inside of you.”
- Apart from the prize money, Nel-Peters also received a Nissan Juke, professional impressions image and etiquette training, and medical and insurance cover.
- She also walks away with make-up and jewelry from Jack Friedman, hair treatments, dental care, clothing, dry cleaning, grooming services, luggage and fragrances.
Photo Credit: Instagram – @demi_leigh_np | Gallo Images/