Thursday, July 27, 2017

8 Confirmed Dead In Lagos Island Building Collapse


The South-West spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Alhaji Ibrahim Farinloye, has disclosed that eight lives were lost, even as 15 persons have so far been rescued from a building collapse that happened in Lagos.

The caving-in of the building took place on Tuesday at Tokunbo, off Odunfa Road, Carrena/Martins Street, Lagos Island.

Speaking in Lagos on Wednesday, Farinloye stated that an 11-year-old boy was pulled out of the debris alive at about 4am on Wednesday after another 11-year-old boy, who had his two legs chopped off, was rescued alive on Tuesday.

The spokesman said that the rescue team comprising Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Response Unit, the police, Lagos State Ambulance Service and the Lagos State Fire Service were still working at the scene.
Also, the LASEMA General Manager, Mr Adesina Tiamiyu, disclosed that the rescue operation was ongoing.

He said that erection of a telecommunication mast very close to the building contributed to the collapse, adding that “heavy duty equipment is searching through the rubbles”.
Tiamiyu said that the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Red Cross were also involved in the rescue operation.

SHARE THIS

Author:

0 comments: