Thursday, August 17, 2017

13 Dead, 50 Injured As Van Ploughs Into Las Ramblas Crowd

13 Dead, 50 Injured As Van Ploughs Into Las Ramblas Crowd


At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured on Thursday when a driver deliberately slammed a van into crowd on Las Ramblas regarded as Barcelona’s most popular and busiest street.

The Catalan police said they had arrested one suspect in what is regarded as a “terror attack”, and denied earlier reports that the perpetrator was holed up in a bar near the scene.

The famous Las Ramblas is lined with shops and restaurants and normally thronged with tourists and street performers until night.

Spain’s royal family condemned the assault in unusually strong terms, vowing that their country would not be “terrorised” by extremists.

According to Aamer Anwar, a witness at the scene, he said he was walking down the street which he described as “jam-packed” with tourists and “all of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids.”

Spain had so far been spared the kind of extremist violence that rocked nearby France, Belgium and Germany.

Just like France, Britain and Germany, The attack drew widespread condemnation.
“The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help,” US President Donald Trump tweeted.

France’s President Emmanuel Macron whose country witnessed a similar horror when a Tunisian man ploughed a 19-tonne truck through a crowded boulevard in Nice, killing 86 people in July 2016 said his thoughts were with the victims of the “tragic attack”.

A spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the “revolting attack” and British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Twitter that London “stands with Spain against terror”.

The Nice carnage and other assaults including the 2015 Paris attacks were claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group and according to the interior ministry, more than 180 “jihadist terrorists” have been arrested since 2015, Punch reports.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Somkele Inyama Idhalama Is Sexy In Genevieve Magazine Photoshoot

Somkele Inyama Idhalama Is Sexy In Genevieve Magazine Photoshoot


Pretty Nigerian actress Somkele Inyama Idhalama who is the cover girl of the half-year review of Genevieve Magazine today shared new photos from the shoot and she looks amazing as usual.

The same issue also features poet and Gidi Up co-star Titlope Sonuga who shares her thoughts on what it means to build while afraid.

See more photos below:


Photography: Felix Crown

Monday, August 14, 2017

Police Kill 11 Protesters In Kenya's Post-Election Violence

Police Kill 11 Protesters In Kenya's Post-Election Violence


Kenyan police killed 11 people in a crackdown on protesters as anger at the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta erupted in the western city of Kisumu and slums around the capital.

Rueters, quoting a security official, revealed that the bodies of nine young men shot dead overnight in Nairobi’s Mathare slum had been brought to the city morgue.

The official said the men were killed during police anti-looting operations.

Separately, a young girl in Mathare was killed by police firing “sporadic shots”, a witness said, while a government official said one man had been killed.

The run-down neighbourhood is loyal to 72-year-old opposition leader Raila Odinga, whose party rejected Tuesday’s vote as a “charade”.

The unrest erupted moments after Kenya’s election commission announced late on Friday that Kenyatta, 55, had secured a second five-year term in office, in spite of opposition allegations that the tally was a fraud.

Interior Minister Fred Matiang’i said the trouble was localised and blamed it on “criminal elements” rather than legitimate political protest.
Kenya’s main monitoring group, ELOG, said on Saturday its tally matched the official outcome, undermining Odinga’s NASA coalition which provided no evidence for its rejection of the result on allegations of fraud.

In addition to the deaths, Kisumu’s main hospital was treating four people for gunshot wounds and six who had been beaten by Kenyan police, its records showed.
One man, 28-year-old Moses Oduor, was inside his home in the impoverished district of Obunga when police conducting house-to-house raids dragged him out of his bedroom and beat him with clubs.

“He was not out fighting them. He was rescued by my sister who lives next to him.
“She came outside screaming at the police, asking why they are beating people,” his brother, Charles Ochieng said, speaking on behalf of a dazed Oduor.
More shooting was heard outside the hospital on Saturday morning. In Nairobi, armed police units backed by water cannon moved through the rubble-strewn streets of Kibera, another pro-Odinga slum.

Interior minister Matiang’i defended the police against accusations of brutality.
“Let us be honest – there are no demonstrations happening,” he told reporters.
“Individuals or gangs that are looting shops, that want to endanger lives, that are breaking into people’s businesses, those are not demonstrators.

They are criminals. And we expect police to deal with criminals how criminals should be dealt with.”
#SoMykonos17 - Photos Of  Stephanie Coker & Olumide Aderinokun‘s Wedding in Greece

#SoMykonos17 - Photos Of Stephanie Coker & Olumide Aderinokun‘s Wedding in Greece


Media personality, Stephanie Coker and Olumide Aderinokun tied the knot over the weekend at their destination wedding which took place in Greece Island of Mykonos last Saturday.
Stephanie also hosted her bridal brunch for herself and her girls, just a day before her big day.

Check out more photos below:

 ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike

ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike


The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said that it will on Monday decide if it will begin an indefinite strike.

A memo dated August 12, 2017, purportedly from the union, had circulated on social media claiming they would embark on an indefinite strike beginning Sunday, August 13, 2017.

The memo stated that a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed by the Federal Government in 2014 after a 6-month strike had yet to be fully implemented.

The memo said of the N1.3tn earmarked for the Public Universities Revitalization (Needs Assessment) Fund, only N200bn has been released.

The memo continued that the union has decided, after exhausting all avenues to get the government to fully implement the 2009 FG-ASUU agreement and the 2013 MoU, to embark on a “total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike action.”

However, after Vanguard reached out the union to confirm the news, the National

President Professor Biodun Ogunyemi last night simply invited them to attend a press briefing at Labour House on Monday.

See the memo below:
 ASUU-Memo-600x718ASUU-Memo1-600x571


Photo Credit: Twitter – @d_problemsolver
Cristiano Ronaldo Suspended For Five Games

Cristiano Ronaldo Suspended For Five Games


Cristiano Ronaldo was hit with a five-match ban by the Spanish football federation (RFEF) on Monday for pushing the referee after being sent-off in Real Madrid’s 3-1 Spanish Super Cup, first leg win over Barcelona.

The World Player of the Year received an automatic one-match ban for his dismissal on Sunday and an extra four games for his reaction towards referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea.

Ronaldo was also fined 3,805 euros ($4,500) and has 10 days to appeal the ban.

Should any appeal fail, Ronaldo will miss Wednesday’s Super Cup, second leg and Madrid’s first four La Liga games of the season against Deportivo la Coruna, Valencia, Levante and Real Sociedad.
Madrid had already signalled their intent to appeal Ronaldo’s second yellow card shown for diving eight minutes from time when he went down inside the area under pressure from Samuel Umtiti.
“Ronaldo’s sending-off annoys me because even if it is not a penalty, the card is harsh,” said Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane after the game.

“We will see if we can do something so that he is available on Wednesday.”

Ronaldo was only on the field for 24 minutes as he was introduced as a second-half substitute and fired into the top corner 10 minutes from time to give Madrid a 2-1 lead.

He received his first yellow card for removing his shirt in celebration before being shown the 10th red card of his career two minutes later.

“Once shown the red card, said player (Ronaldo) pushed me lightly as a sign of his disapproval,” de Burgos Bengoetxea wrote in his referee’s report.

According to the RFEF’s rules, such offences are met with a suspension of anything between four and 12 games, but previous cases also resulted in four-game bans.
Everything You Need To Know About The Charlotteville Attack

Everything You Need To Know About The Charlotteville Attack



On Friday August 11, hundreds of marchers descended on the University of Virginia carrying torches and yelling slogans “white lives matter” and “blood and soil”.

Protests turned violent in Charlottesville on Saturday, as white supremacists clashed with counter demonstrators and a car ploughed into a crowd of anti-racist and anti-fascist demonstrators.
What happened and when? 

A “Unite the Right” rally was planned for Friday August 11 to protest against the removal of the statue of Confederate icon General Robert E Lee.

Described as one of the largest white supremacist events in recent US history, it was organised by Jason Kessler, a former journalist and a member of the Proud Boys, an ultra-nationalist group.

Protesters gathered again on Saturday August 12 and clashed with counter-demonstrators.

At 11:28am a local state of emergency was declared by the City of Charlottesville and the County of Albemarle.

At 1:42pm a speeding car rammed into counter-demonstrators.

The speeding car, a Dodge Challenger, fled the scene but was soon located and stopped by Police.
Later in the afternoon, a police helicopter crashed while en route to the rally, though officials did not elaborate the details.

Where did it happen? 

This took place in Charlottesville, a university town of 46,000 people, in the state of Virginia, US.
Charlottesville has become a focal point of the resurgent white supremacist movement after officials there voted to take down a statue of the Confederate General Robert E Lee.

Who was behind it?

The driver of the car, 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr was arrested shortly after the incident, and has been charged with second-degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding, and one count of hit-and-run.

In connection with the events at Charlottesville today, Police made three more arrests.

21-year-old Troy Dunigan and charged him with disorderly conduct.

21-year-old J acob L. Smith was also arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.

44-year-old James M. O’brien was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed gun.

How many casualties?

32-year-old Heather Heyer died following the car ramming.

Lieutenant Cullen and Trooper-Pilot Bates that were on-board of the crashed helicopter died.

35 people were injured at the rally, 19 confirmed by the hospital in Charlottesville.

Is Charlottesville now safe? What is the latest on the ground?

Police intervened after clashes broke out and dispersed the crowd, and Governor Payne declared a state of emergency.

The Governor’s office also urged all members of the community to stay home this evening.
Governor McAuliffe has declared a state of emergency to aid state response to violence at Alt-Right rally in Charlottesville.

Source: Aljazeera

Sunday, August 13, 2017

#FearlessConcert: Kirk Franklin, Tim Godfrey, Frank Edwards & More In Attendance

#FearlessConcert: Kirk Franklin, Tim Godfrey, Frank Edwards & More In Attendance


The second edition of Tim Godfrey‘s “Fearless Concert” was held yesterday at the House On The Rock Cathedral, headlined by the worship singer himself and international gospel act Kirk Franklin.

In attendance at the event also were host Pastor, Paul Adefarasin and wife Ifeanyi Adefarasin, Frank Edwards, Sinach, TY Bello amongst others.

See more photos from the event:

A post shared by Queen Martins (@_queenmartins) on

A post shared by Nwa Ka Ego (@fortsyy) on
A post shared by Nwa Ka Ego (@fortsyy) on
A post shared by Nwa Ka Ego (@fortsyy) on